How old are you now? Dying Comes With Age is the debut album by writer Ryan Kent expecting an early Summer 2022 release. The LP (via Rare Bird Books) is one uncanny bastard; pulling dark gospel from the genres of spoken word, blues, stoner rock, goth, metal, and folk. If you tossed Ryan Kent into a police line-up with Leonard Cohen, Nick Cave, Mark Lanegan, and Tom Waits; all anyone would ask is which one of them is the killer? This is the album all you crooks have waited for. COVID brought people together in the wildest of ways. Surprise!
Featuring howling wolves like Randy Blythe (Lamb of God), Jimmy Bower (Eyehategod/Down), Mike IX Williams (Eyehategod), Laura Pleasants (Kylesa), and Eugene S. Robinson (OxBow/Bunuel) only drives the message home: No one anywhere is making anything like this. Peter Dolving (ex-The Haunted) said, “I felt at home. An actual voice. An actual story. An actual vessel.”
The album’s first single “Son Of A Bitch” features instrumentation by Jimmy Bower, backup vocals by Laura Pleasants, and Kent delivering the lead voice. This will be the sleeper hit of the Summer of 2022! Maybe we’ll all “listen to the drain sing.” Happy Birthday, motherfuckers!
Who is Ryan Kent?
Ryan Kent is the author of Poems For Dead People, This Is Why I Am Insane (BIGWRK), Hit Me When I’m Pretty (BIGWRK), and the forthcoming Everything Is On Fire: Selected Poems 2014-2021 (Rare Bird). He is the co-author of two collections of poetry (w/ Brett Lloyd), Tomorrow Ruined Today, Some Of Us Love You (both by Rare Bird), along with a yet-to-be-titled third co-authored collection with Lloyd (also to be released by Rare Bird). He is currently a staff writer for RVA Magazine and has sung lead vocals in several heavy-metal bands in Richmond, VA since 2008. Ryan maintains a pack-a-day habit.
Dying Comes With Age album info:
All lyrics were written by Ryan Kent
1. Son Of A Bitch (w/ Jimmy Bower and Laura Pleasants)
2. All The Others Were Just Years (Laura Pleasants)
3. I Know What Love Is (w/ Jimmy Bower)
4. Goodbye Fella (D. Randall Blythe)
5. I’ll Take The Usual (w/ Jimmy Bower, Adam Kravitz, Chris Farmer)
6. Message From Someone Going Somewhere With Someone Else Who Is Going Somewhere (w/ Jimmy Bower)
7. Couch Time (w/ Laura Pleasants)
8. The Lurch (Eugene S. Robinson)
9. Dying Comes With Age (w/ Chris Farmer)
10. My Blue Heaven (Dorthia Cottrell)
11. Bring Me My Monster (w/ Jimmy Bower)
12. Cigarettes Roll Away The Time (Mike IX Williams)
Jimmy Bower: Eyehategod/Down
Laura Pleasants: Kylesa/ The Discussion
Chris Farmer: Breadwinner / Dust
D. Randall Blythe: Lamb of God
Eugene S. Robinson: OxBow / Bunuel
Dorthia Cottrell: Windhand
Mike IX Williams: Eyehategod / Corrections House
Adam Kravitz: Gritter / Future Projektor